29 Oct Why You Need an Email Strategy – Online Biz Smarts
The Power of an Email Marketing Campaign
Are you using all of the online marketing tools available to you? If you are not doing email marketing, you are not!
Email is powerful because of its virality and the flexibility in sending your message exactly where you want it to go. Importantly, an email has the potential to land directly in yours target customer’s box! Email is also powerful because of its viral potential through social media shares and “forward to friends” feature.
At the very least, all small business owners and professionals should be building an email list of all customers, potential customers and referral sources. Here are some initial steps to get you going:
1. Set up an excel sheet or any kind of organized list that includes a minimum in each cell: email address, first name, last name and company.
2. Choose an email client. We use Constant Contact because of its ease of use, variety and numbe rof themes, reasonable cost and that it doesn’t have a double opt-in requirement. There are many email clients from which you can choose. If you would like to compare features and costs, you can do that at FindTheBest.com
3. If you choose Constant Contact, you can sign up for a free 60-day trial here.
If you sign up for a paid account by 12/31/12, you can also receive a complimentary custom newsletter design that matches your website.
4. Build your contact list.
5. Set up lists.
6. Note the email list building features provided, in particular the text to join email list feature.
7. Choose and then customize your template.
8. Or copy and modify your last newsletter.
9. Schedule to Send either “right now” or at a future date and time.
10. Make sure you check the open rates and click through rates on links that you have included in the newsletter. 15% or greater is a typical open rate, but strive for higher. The subject line is very important – it should be intriguing and not sound like spam.
A pictorial slide presentation reflecting the points above: